2014 Texas APME convention
NOTE: For those attending the conference in South Padre Island, please call South Padre Shuttle - 877-774-0050. Tell them you are with The Associated Press and you will receive a $25 round trip fare. Normal price is $40. You will need the flight and hotel info when you call in.
There is still time to make last-minute plans to attend. Call Pam Collins at 972-502-7569 to get on the list and to obtain the Associated Press group rate of $139 single/double at The Pearl Hotel.
The APME board has put together another useful program that addresses some of the most critical issues facing our business. Here are some of the topics we’ll explore:
• Covering the border: what your newspapers need to know about newsgathering along the U.S./Mexico border, whether you dispatch journalists there or use the work of those who do.
• Video: Does it pay? Can we make it pay? We provide some advice on the wisest way to use your resources.
• Beyond newsprint: Magazines, websites, book publishing; what niche publications and projects are working and why?
• Plus, getting beyond the horse race in covering state elections and what you need to know about the latest on the state's Freedom of Information laws, and more.
We also will honor outstanding journalism as we present the Texas APME-Headliner awards, the most prestigious journalism honors in the state.
Those of you who are convention regulars know we’ll also have a lot of fun. This year we’ll take advantage of our beautiful meeting location, with convention rooms that overlook the ocean and time to dip our toes in the sand.
We’ll make new friends and catch up with old ones in the hospitality suite. And we'll raise money for another group of deserving scholarship recipients at the Saturday night Jack Douglas dinner and Buster Haas auction at Sea4ever Rooftop Bar and Grill, with the best view of the gulf South Padre Island has to offer. It’s a venue you won’t want to miss. In your free time, you’ll be able enjoy the hotel pool, seaside bar and beautiful beaches just downstairs from your room, visit Schlitterbahn resort right next door or the Sea Turtle Rescue Center just a short bus ride away.
Register online at http://www.txapme.com.
We’ll see you there!
2014 TAPME Awards
Use this site for electronic entries
Click here to view the 2013 winners.
Please follow these guidelines before submitting your entries (i.e. naming conventions, file sizes, etc.). Read Now.
Don't forget to upload your Newspaper of the Year front pages as well as mail the full editions.
It is time to begin assembling your entries for the premier competition in Texas journalism, the Texas APME Headliners Excellence in Journalism Awards. Besides the awards in each circulation division, we will once again pit the four circulation division winners against one another in a second competition, culminating in the Charles E. Green awards bestowed by the Headliners Foundation. Please note, we will continue with electronic filing of all entries.
Those Charles E. Green awards are:
• Star Reporter of the Year
• Star Photojournalist of the Year
• Star Designer of the Year
• Star Investigative Report of the Year
• Star Breaking News Report of the Year
• Star Online Report of the Year
Also, don't forget to send in your best entries for the Newspaper of the Year Award.
The deadline for entries will be midnight, Thursday, Jan. 31, 2014 for electronic entries and 5 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, 2014 for mailed Newspaper of the Year entries. The contest period covers work done from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2013, with exceptions as noted in the rules.
A complete copy of the rules is now available for download, as well as classifications by newspaper.
If you have questions about the rules, contact this year's contest coordinators:
• Board president and contest site administrator Yvonne Mintz, Managing Editor, The Facts, 720 S. Main Street, Clute TX 77531, email@example.com, 979-237-0144 | Yvonne also is available for technical help.
• Brian Pearson, Managing Editor, Tyler Morning Telegraph, 410 W. Erwin Street, Tyler, TX. 75702; firstname.lastname@example.org or 903-596-6280.
• Debbie Hiott, Editor, Austin American-Statesman, 305 S. Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78704; email@example.com or 512-912-2937
ALL checks should be made payable to Texas APME, envelope addressed to Chief of Bureau, The Associated Press, 4851 LBJ Freeway, Suite 300, Dallas, TX 75244.
The winners will be announced at the 2014 convention planned for April 4-6 at the Pearl Hotel in South Padre Island, Texas. Awards for first, second and third places and honorable mention all will be available for pickup at the convention this year. See you there!
Need help creating your submissions?How to create a PDF for this contest.